Monday, August 29, 2005

Can't Teach An Old Cat New Tricks....

As some of you know, I have a cat - his name is Jake. Jake has been with me since I was in college. When I found him, he was a tiny kitten that fit in one hand and begged for food - now he fits in a wheelbarrow and will bite you for food. Seeing as he's 12 years old - we figure that he's grown into the 'grumpy old man' cat ... meaning that he's only nice to you when he's hungry and even then he can only feign the kindness for a short amount of time before biting your leg or scratching you.

I'll admit that his kittenhood wasn't an easy one - but he always had plenty of food and water and lots of privacy as I was a chronic bar patron. I was hoping that over the years we would mature together and have a mutual respect for each other. I was wrong. Jake is still just as vengeful as he was as a kitten. He picks on the dog (Jazz) when he wants to lay on her bed or just when he's feeling irritable. He craps on the floor when his litter box isn't clean enough or when you've pissed him off. He'll bite you when he's hungry and you aren't filling up his bowl fast enough. So here I thought I'd have a warm, loving, fuzzy companion for 20 years - and what do I get? A crotchety, old, self-absorbed cat that loves poopie revenge. And you know what? I wouldn't trade him for the world! I guess this is good training for having kids. You don't always get what you expected - and yet you would never give it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LET'S SEE A PICTURE OF YOUR CAT....I HAVE 5....JEAN
PS ALL OUTSIDE,EXCEPT MAUI WHICH RAY AND PAM GAVE BACK TO ME AND SHE IS OLD,,SHE HAS HER OWN ROOM,,MY END BED ROOM,,SO SHE IS NO PROBLEM,,