Friday, September 02, 2005

When Pigs Fly ...

As part of my weekly routine, I tend to visit a local cafe for a scrumptious breakfast wrap. Today on my way there I was waiting at a crosswalk with a really tall cop and a few other pedestrians. On the other side of the street were a few folks as well. Well about 5 seconds before the walk sign appeared, one of the guys across the street just starts crossing. Normally, I wouldn't bat an eye at this but the cop scolded the man loudly - it was great! As I thought about it - I was quite impressed. So many pedestrians in this area think that they can just dart into traffic without harm. They cause accidents and some do get hit and killed - seriously, some drivers in the DC area do not slow down for ANYTHING! But rarely do you see or hear of someone getting a jaywalking ticket. Thanks to that cop for at least saying something.

As I was leaving the cafe with my breakfast wrap in hand, I was still pleased with the actions of the cop. Then, I noticed that just across the street another cop had parked in a well designated No Parking zone so he could run into the bagel shop for his breakfast. UGH! I quickly pulled out my camera phone to document this violation. As I get close to the cop car, he came out of the bagel shop and pulled off. I got a picture, but it's not a good one - when will camera phones be equipped with zoom? But I did get his car number and license plate number. I don't understand how police officers can expect citizens to respect and obey the laws when they don't. Lead by example. So the internal affairs department will be getting a complaint form complete with grainy camera phone picture. For those of you who've received a parking ticket - this is for you too!




No comments: