Monday, January 24, 2005

4th Annual 29th Birthday Celebration!

I know my birthday isn't until Tuesday, but I had planned my celebrating early this year. (Did I mention that I don't like surprises? I was also born without a lot of patience...or either it is slipping away with each passing year.) Since my brother's birthday was the 20th, we decided to get together for a family thing and do lunch on Saturday. Thank goodness for Red, Hot and Blue. It's one of the few places that everyone in my picky-eating family likes. And for the real fun, a great local band played in Arlington on Saturday night. Well, the stinkin' snow storm ruined all my party plans! Or maybe it just gave me an excuse to be lazy and sit at home? Either way, the 4th Annual 29th Birthday Celebration has been postponed.

On a fun snow note - Jazz (my puppy) and I had a great time playing in the snow this weekend. She absolutlely loves it. As soon as she gets outside, she immediately sticks her nose in the snow and starts eating. It's like a food frenzy because she's also got to pee pretty bad so she can't stand still. Once she's relieved herself, then comes her imitation of the local deer. She starts prancing and boucing around like walking isn't an option in snow - only jumping through it. And then she just wants to play. So she's on the hunt for a stick to play fetch with....but of course, she's greedy (not sure who she gets that from?). So she comes back to me hauling a huge ass tree limb from the woods behind our house. Which is cute because it's much bigger than she is but there's no way that I could throw it. So I try to ignore her but she's much too persistent for that (again, where does she get that from I wonder?). As I'm walking away, she comes up behind me dragging this monstrosity and knocks me in the back of the legs - almost bringing me down! Yeah, it's funny and I laugh and tell her to drop it and we continue on...or so I think. She kept trying to knock me down - clothes lining my legs with her 'stick'. She's a funny bitch.

Although my weekend birthday plans didn't go well, the previous week wasn't too bad. On Thursday, not only did I have the day off from work - because a pompous, self-serving blowhard from Texas feels the need to spend money from the DC Homeland Security budget for a parade, numerous luncheons and dinners, countless balls and to provide security during his boring speech full of values and ideas that he'll never live up to - I got to have a few laughs watching Mr. Dave Attell do his comedy thang at the Improv with a few friends. I was really impressed with the guy that opened for him. I think his name is Sean something, but he was hilarious. The most pleasant surprise of the night, however was the restaurant where we ate before the show. It's a cuban restaurant called Yucca and it was delicious. For the DCers, it's in midtown and is definitely a great place for a nice mid-priced meal. I also had Monday off, so working 3 days last week was great!


Well, it's the start of another cold week in DC. No more snow in the forecast though - thank goodness. It took some folks 3-4 hours to get home on Wednesday....silly DC drivers - ha ha! Oh, I read an article today about how this is the Most Depressing Day of the Year....check it out if you're bored....or depressed.

Also, on a sad note, my great uncle Sonny died this past week after a long battle with lung cancer. Stay tuned for my Tribute To Uncle Sonny.

No comments: