Thursday, February 24, 2005

Our Romantic Vacation...Phase 4 - The Spa and More Shopping

We got quite lucky with the weather on Monday (Valentine's Day) so we spent the whole day laying on the beach drinking fruity drinks. It was warm and sunny and just what I had pictured our vacation to be. We lathered up in some sunscreen, put on our iPOD and mp3 players and enjoyed the day.

Little did I know that all my chair dancing was going to end up in such an interesting tan. Evidently there were a few parts of me that I managed to wipe off my sunscreen. My convulsive gyrating wore away at the spf on my calves, a small strip on the back of just one of my arms and a tiny circle on one of my elbows. Each of these spots were bright pink by nightfall. They are now nice and brown. Thank goodness it's too cold for anyone to see them around here. Hopefully they'll fade soon.

We had such a good time laying on the beach Monday that we ended up having a late lunch at a local marina. The Banana Boat restaurant was located directly behind 2 parked yachts...Impetuous (the smaller one) and Impulse (the big daddy). We thought that the owner of the big daddy yacht might be the owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Malcolm Glazer, but it was just some rich guy in a Bucs sweatshirt. This boat was amazing though. They even had a 4 person crew - 2 men to do the grunt work and 2 women, a chef and maid. Now that's a cruise I could see myself going on....one with a much smaller risk of catching the Norwalk virus, a crew and no kids.

We skipped dinner that night and ended up having drinks on the beach again. It was a beautiful night to just sit and enjoy. Tuesday we got up and did a little more shopping. We went to the opposite end of the island to a new shopping center and had lunch. It was a little open air Italian restaurant and it was very good. After stuffing our faces on some pasta and pizza, we decided to try to walk off a little in the shops. There were only 5 stores because the center was new though - and they didn't really carry the cheesy tourist stuff that we wanted. The center did have a gym though and we were amused by the bus load of tourists that were dumped for a workout, only to find that the 24 hour a day/7 day a week gym was closed - ha ha! Who exercises on vacation anyway? I guess they could get a workout walking back to their resort.

We rode down to another shopping center and found the cheesy tourist trap stores that we desired. The prices were still quite high - but we ended up getting a t-shirt for each of us and a new pair of sunglasses for me. You'll see my new superstar sunglasses in the vacation pictures. I know - it's like I go from plain jane to hollywood starlet in mere seconds - ha ha. At this point we needed to head back to the hotel so we could get ready for our massages.

That's right! We aren't going to stay at a nice resort without getting a massage. We got a couples massage - which basically means that they have 2 tables set up in the room and you get dueling massages from 2 spa workers at the same time. I'm not sure about DaveBrown's massager, by my lady had on bright orange flip-flops with a huge flower on them. As much as I don't like feet, I was happy to see that hers had undergone a pedicure.

She also liked to use her whole arm - which is a good thing - when giving a massage. Elbows can really get those knots in my neck. She was so good that she made my nose start running (or maybe the Dayquil was pretending to be my sunscreen and wearing off). She even took care not to laugh at or irritate my sunburned calves - which must have looked quite funny at the time because they still do. I love it when they don't forget the head massage at the end. It's so relaxing. For those of you that haven't had a professional massage - and I don't just mean some horny person trying to get you naked - you should indulge yourself. It's great. Just make sure to tell them if they are using too much or not enough pressure.

After the massages we sat on the balcony and watched the ocean. Our favorite waiter from the Beach Cafe even noted how relaxed we looked. His name is Minor. I heard it pronounced many different ways while we were there (Minor, Mee-nor, Manure). We just called him - excuse me. 'Excuse me, could we have another round of drinks please?' He was very nice and made a mean rum and coke! You know I liked that!!

For dinner we decided to try a neighboring resort's restaurant called Simba. It was within walking distance so we strolled down the beach to get there. That was nice because it was a clear night and you could see all the stars. Living near DC doesn't allow you to see many stars even on clear nights. There's a layer of haze at the horizon and around each star that struggles to shine through.

Simba was a really good restaurant as well. I had tempura shrimp and they were placed as a tower on top of a pile of rice and surrounded by a delicious tropical fruit sauce. DaveBrown had a steak that was piled high with mushrooms. The food was delicious. They even served a between course of homemade mango sorbet. The only part of this that I didn't really like was when they sat some struggling model and her hairdresser at the table next to us. I guess I've been out of NC so long that I'm not used to eating dinner while inhaling someone's secondhand smoke. It's quite annoying to non-smokers.

With full bellies, we waddled back down the beach to our resort. Another good meal to keep us resting peacefully through the night.

Stay tuned for the FINAL Phase of our vacation story - Phase 5 - The Trip Home...


No comments: